Johnson & Johnson continues to blaze new paths across global health. However, the organization did not have a clear and aligned Innovation Story to share with internal and external audiences. Using the powerful combination of design thinking and communications strategy, we set out to re-define and scale J&J’s Innovation narrative and strategy to more purposefully live into their collective mandate to enhance the organization’s global reputation.
Through two workshops (internal and external audiences) and pre-research with audiences, we brought 50 senior leaders together from across the Communications Leadership Team. We developed and prototyped 10 pioneering ideas, and an Innovation Story framework that was validated through 500+ tests with over 40 in-person audiences.
Through our programs, Johnson & Johnson was able to:
- Understand the current challenges, pains, and gains for Innovation within J&J.
- Align on a singular definition and purpose of innovation internally.
- Launch internal programs that foster Innovation culture across the enterprise.
- Develop an Innovation program platform and action plan to bring Innovation to life and drive change/action across the organization.
- Validate a framework for Innovation Stories they know will work with internal and external audiences.
- Build a roadmap to build experiences that will showcase J&J’s broad range of Innovation internally & externally.
- Lay the groundwork to launch Innovation-focused communications programs with high levels of confidence.